Meb is BACK, BACK AGAIN, to continue sharing his inspiring, goose bump provoking, tears in your eyes, story of working hard to achieve your dreams. If you haven’t heard the first part of the conversation, please go back and download Episode #85 so all of this make sense. During the second part of the conversation, we discuss:
- The clothing Meb wears while on the ElliptiGo and traveling (hint, you can see tan lines from his CEP compression socks)
- Designing his own shoes, the Go Run Strada and Go Meb 3 with Skechers
- Where Meb has been this summer
- What to say to him when you see him
- Why he ran Boston in 2014 instead of the Los Angeles Marathon
- How he was cheering on the runners in 2013 in Boston right before the bombs went off
- How running Boston is like graduation day
- Why he made a personal commitment to go for the win in Boston 2014
- The rundown of the Boston Marathon and how he ran it (goose bump and crying alert!)
- How he became the first American runner in 31 years to win Boston and what an honor it was for him to lead 36,000 runners on that beautiful, historic day
- His faith in God and what God’s plan is for him to do
- What and why it was one of his favorite running experience ever, which was held the Friday before the Boston Marathon at Old Soul’s Church on Boylston Street
- The products including Krave, Ucan, Epson, CEP, Power Bar and ElliptiGo that help keep him strong and winning
- His future plans including a fall marathon, running the Olympic trials on February 13, 2016 which will hopefully stamp his ticket to Rio
- How running helps you be a better human being
- What Meb’s advice is for running the rest of your life
Meb’s latest book is Meb for Mortals and was our Book of the Month for June. Our Book of the Month for August is The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM) by Hal Elrod.
You can find out the 11 Strategies of Living the Running Lifestyle by heading over to www.therunninglifestyle.com/join.
The Runner of the Week Segment is sponsored by Sport Suds. Having linger odor in your clothes? Or perhaps concerned about having phosphates, dyes, and bleach in your detergent. Sport Suds has none of that head over to www.sportsuds.com and use the code “RUNLIFE” when you check out to receive 15% off.
Anna Vocino shares:
- When her co host, Vinnie Tortorich, is mean
- How Anna is the anti Meb
- Why she is on the podcast
- Being the voice of ABC TGIT
- What time of day she does the best running
- What two things have really helped Anna with her running
- What thriving elderly people do
- What she does in the morning to get her day started
- How often she runs
- The funny name of her running club
- How she is an evangelical of the early risers
- How running is communion with other people
- Her experience of running a 10K Mud Run
- What type of run is next on her list of goals
- What happens when she gets lazy with strength training
- Why she loves the app, The 12 Minute Athlete
- Check out Dr. Jordan Metzl, Running Strong & Iron Strength
- Check out Balanced Athlete with Johnny Gillespie for strengthening
- How she gets motivated and why she signed up for the 10K Mud Run
- Why the 10K was so much fun
- How she calms down when her anxiety wants to take over
- Anxiety is access energy and how running can help with anxiety
- What is Hula Hoops with Anna
- What is her favorite shape and why she is obsessed with it
- How she picked her new car
- Find her at glutenfreeanna.com and on Periscope at Anna Vocino
Are you ready for Serena Marie, RD, to knock your socks off? Because she probably is going to. Serena talks all things electrolytes including:
- What Serena gives a shout out to
- How the body is great at self regulating electrolytes
- What electrolytes do
- How sodium regulates the total amount of water in the body and maintains the proper function of the nervous, muscular, and other systems.
- How potassium is responsible for regulating heartbeat and muscle function and is important in neuron function.
- Why extreme high or low potassium levels can cause irregular heartbeat, which can be fatal.
- How chloride helps maintain a normal balance of body fluids.
- Which electrolytes (hint Sodium, chloride and potassium) are lost through sweating
- You can find potassium is in fish, yogurt, beans, fruits and vegetables
- Vasopressin & aldosterone (hormones) will make it so if there is too little sodium, the kidneys will excrete less in the urine and sweat
- If there is too little water, the kidneys will excrete more sodium to maintain the electrochemical gradient
- Too much sodium means the body will excretes excess sodium through urine and sweat
- Excess electrolyte consumption will just contribute to additional excretion of sodium through urine and sweat
- Over 10,000 mg of sodium is stored in the body and why that is great for us
- Exceptions in regards to taking in electrolytes is for people with markedly elevated hyper/hypothyroidism and/or a salt restricted diet
- PubMed is like a Google for scientific, controlled studies
- What the salt on your body at the end of a run means
- Why people don’t feel great during hot runs
- Importance of eating a diet rich in micronutrients, so you don’t need to take in additional electrolytes
- What type of salt to take in (hint pink Himalayan)
- Hydrate to thirst - avoid being thirsty
- What to do all week long to be setting up your long run for success
- Eat water & micronutrient dense fruits and vegetables to avoid thirst and optimize hydration
Information gleaned for this episode were taken from the following studies
Study of 14 amateur marathoners (male): sodium concentration maintained http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3324692/
Higher temps impair performance r/t exercise induced hyperthermia
Drink to Fluid to Thirst
Serena and I discuss how our training is coming along and then I give a sneak peak at the raw conversation Jeff Galloway and I have on next week’s episode. Serena has been using Honey Stingers and Nutiva Organic Coconut Mana. I have been eating Hickory Smoke Strong and Kind Bars along with Energy Bits. If you want to try Energy Bits, you can receive 25% off when you use promo code RUNLIFE at checkout.
Serena and I are running the NYC and Chicago Marathons to raise $8000 for Action for Healthy Kids. Action for Healthy Kids expands school breakfast and lunch programs with healthy food. They also help bring back fitness in to the schools. What to help out the kids. Please head over HERE.
Enjoyed this episode? Please hit subscribe, share it with your friends, running group, whoever you think my enjoy some positive energy with a lot of laughter in their lives. :-) Run on my friends.
Website: AnnaVocino.com, GlutenFreeAnna.com
Serena Marie, RD: