Serena Marie, RD, and I share all of our tips, tricks, and ideas when it comes to what to pack, take, do before, after and during your big race. Serena Marie, RD, clarifies what the research says when it comes to carb loading for women and men. We also discuss what is the biggest predictor of performance.
- Get clothes from Goodwill that you can toss at the starting line to avoid being cold
- Take everything you can on the plane
- WEAR YOUR RUNNING SHOES ON THE PLANE
- Send “stuff” to hotel as a plan B
- Buy at least two bottles of water after Security at the airport
- Why you want to eat vitamin C before getting a cold
- The mental game when it comes to carb loading
- Fill out the back of your bib w/contact information & pin the bib to your clothes
- Have arm warmers by cutting off the toes of trouser socks
- The many uses of coconut oil
- Your Jeff Galloway timer with a fresh battery
- Put your name on it using clear tape and a Sharpie
- What to put in your recovery bag including shoes, underwear, bra, deodorant, snacks
- Have travel docs in paper format
- Pack extra safety pins
- Travel alarm if you don’t use your iPhone
- Why relaxing and taking it easy before a race is a good idea to help you focus on sleeping and eating
- How to go into a race excited
- Why watch Spirit of the Marathon
- Why we say Chi Town
- Serena’s mantra - "I am not afraid. I was born to do this."
- Go to therunninglifestyle.com/my262 to run your marathon on the installment plan virtually with us and receive your very own certificate of accomplishment, access to a private Facebook Group, and a Skype Call celebrating your accomplishment with a special guest.
- Today’s episode was brought you by Sport Suds, our go to detergent to clean our clothes. We’ve tried other detergents, and Sport Suds is our favorite because it doesn’t use any perfumes or dyes, and REALLY takes out odors. As a listener of the Running Lifestyle Show, you’ll receive a 15% discount when you type “RunLife” in at check out.
- Join Serena Marie, RD, and me when we “run” Chicago and eat our way through the neighborhoods. You can even join me for a Ride on the ElliptiGo, one of my favorite tools to live the running lifestyle, and a sponsor of the show. Here's what's going "down".
- Have dinner at Sweetwater Tavern & Grill at 4:45 PM on Friday, October 9th (steps from where the boat drops us off)
- Meet up for lunch on Saturday, October 10th at 1:30 PM at Weather Mark Tavern (just seven blocks from the expo)
- Go for a ride with @ElliptiGo on the Lakefront in the morning on Monday, October 12th OR from Fleet Feet, South Loop at 12:30 PM and after. Fleet Feet will have recovery services and tools. They're also going to offer FREE engraving (starting at 12:00 PM) on your Bank of America Chicago Marathon medal.
- Please contact me, Kari Gormley, to let me know you’ll be there so I can give the restaurants an accurate count and to look out for you and/or at Fleet Feet. :-)
Serena Marie, RD: